Friday 30 July 2010

Contemporary Writers in the UK

Do you ever want to know more about our British writers? Then this website may be useful - Contemporary Writers in the UK is an online, searchable database that contains profiles of many of the UKs most important living writers. Included in each author's profile is their biography, bibliography, prizes they have won and their photograph. For many authors, a critical review of their work is also available. To use the site you can either browse the index of authors or use a search box on the authors page to search for writers. There are a lot of authors there - click here to see just those beginning with A and B!

I’m always curious to see what new authors they add to the site, but was slightly surprised to see that Salley Vickers was just added this March, particularly since she’s been writing since 2000. I read her novel “The Other Side of You” a fortnight ago and it was quite brilliant. It taught me a lot about love, missed opportunities and Caravaggio and if that book didn’t make me want to visit an art gallery sometime soon nothing could! I’ve since picked up a copy of one of her earlier books, ‘Miss Garnet’s Angel’, which I managed to get locally from Russell (for just £1.50 might I add!), so I hope to read that very soon. In the meantime I’ll be keeping an eye on the ‘Contemporary Writers’ site, to discover new authors and their work, and as a useful point of reference.

Hope you also find it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment